I was skeptical of the "SMART WATCH" since they started rolling off the tech aisle at your local Blue store. Being connected has never been a priority, and hell, being disconnected from the ins and outs of social media, new networks, and often enough...people, is a welcome occurrence. That being said, the Suunto Traverse Alpha was an offering that ticked a few boxes for me and when I found one on sale for under $400.00, I had to give it a shot. Having used Suunto products in the past, (most OIF/OEF guys in the SOF community have/had experience with the Suunto CORE Altimeter/watch - not that it was the best offering on the planet, but it was something) sticking with a brand I had some familiarity with was paramount.
First impressions of the watch(first few months of use)...its light weight, comfortable, battery life is excellent(I charge it once a week with a lot of use), Inverted display and red/amber back-light are less harsh in darkness, features work well(GPS/GLONASS are laggy), and overall the watch has performed as expected or better for my uses. My menu settings include: Clock, Altimeter, Moon Phases, Pedometer, and the Stop Watch W/ Laps.
The watch is always connected via Bluetooth on my phone, Vibrating alerts are off on the watch and notifications are off on my cellular phone. I track all of my runs/hikes in the MOVESCOUNT app that I have uploaded to my cellular phone. Using the app specifically for data tracking...it has worked to my expectations. Each Run/Hike is cataloged by date, although the GPS/GLONASS is laggy and takes 30-40seconds to click over...I still use it for timed runs(despite a lack of accuracy).
The Newest offerings from Suunto allow the purchaser to make some cool tweaks and custom touches to the watch. I was impressed. Custom bezels, custom buttons, different band offerings, case colors, and an engraving option for the case.
All in all, not considering the price I paid...the watch has Value at the MSRP price point, but it can be found for less than MSRP with a little internet shopping or digging at a High End Hook and Bullet Sporting Goods Store or High End Outdoors store.
. KEY FEATURES -
- Hiking, Fishing and Hunting modes
- Sunrise-sunset times and alerts
- Fishing and hunting specific POI types
- Moon phases and moon rise/set times
- Automatic Shot detection
- Red backlight, Night Vision Goggle compatible
- GPS and GLONASS for route and POI navigation
- Real-time breadcrumb view of the recorded track
- Tracking for speed, distance and altitude
- Discover new routes with heatmaps on Suunto Movescount and Suunto Movescount App
- Route planning in Suunto Movescount with topographic maps
- Route preview and route altitude profile on the watch
- 100 m/330 ft water resistance
- Altitude (FusedAlti™)
- Weather trend and storm alarm
- Backlight in flashlight mode
- Vibration alarm
- GPS time update
- Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly activity tracking of steps and calories
- Mobile notifications
- Compatible with Suunto Movescount App (iOS and Android)